Sunday, July 17, 2011

Lewk


I like Lewk, the ballsy recruit who recently auditioned over at Thunder's Arena. I really really like Luke. He goes up against Tony, a scrap-iron bull of a man, and in 20 minutes carves himself into a wrestling legend. The setup is that Tony is interviewing Lewk for a spot on the Arena roster. Lewk is confident, raring to fight somebody, anybody, everybody. Tony's concerned that, for all his enthusiasm, Lewk may be a little underdeveloped in the muscle department for the kinds of competition Thunder is likely to throw his way. He likes what he sees in Lewk and respects the young man's heart and nerve, but for just those reasons he doesn't want to see the rookie get seriously hurt. So the two have a trial run on the mats--against each other.

From the start, Lewk shows he can wrestle.  He knows freestyle and he knows martial arts. Tony realizes he's got his hands full in the first two minutes. Lewk has speed, he's got a thick skin, he's got a fire in his belly for rough-n-tumble action. What he lacks, Tony discovers, is the savvy to pace himself--Lewk is 110% from the getgo and never slows down--and he lacks the experience not to trust an opponent to play fair, especially not a heel, not even a "compassionate heel" like Tony. And for all his speed and dexterity, he has not yet learned how to maneuver smoothly around men like Tony, who are more edifice than human--but for that, this match is Lewk's OTJ training.

What we get in this bout is a double-tiered drama--an upstart proving he's got what it takes but at the same time learning the ropes against a man who's been around the block a few times. What we also get is wrestling. I like bodybuilders. I like wisecracks. I like gut punching. I like teensy Speedos. I like a pretty face on a man. But I love wrestling--and Lewk and Tony know how to wrestle, and after a prologue that sets up the fight, they devote the remainder of the video to fast, relentless, growling, steaming wrestling. No time is wasted in filibuster or developing a character arc. This is not legislature. This is not Neil Simon. Choreography is kept to a minimum, yet the camera manages to pull in tight, at clear angles, to capture the primal drama of two bodies struggling against each other. 

I like Lewk's body. Solid like an atom bomb. He's built rugged--a brawler, not a runway model, not a dancer, not a cheerleader, not an aerobics instructor, not a competition bodybuilder. His imperturbable fight face and hairy legs complete the image of young masculinity, or rather my ideal of it. It's a body that can take some thumps and give thumps back in change. The body tells the whole story--this is what you mess with when you're looking for a bruising.

"Bring it," Lewk taunts, licking his lips, and Tony brings it. This is the good stuff, pals. Wherever Thunder found it, I hope he can find more where it came from.


2 comments:

  1. Lewk is supremely hot! Excited to see more of him and more from him! I'd love to see that body tied up in some punishing holds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once the pics of Lewk first showed up I was eagerly awaiting his first match, though I have to say I was somewhat disappointed. I enjoyed the mat skills Lewk showcased, but I was missing the psychology; the flow from one move to the next. And the ending completely ruined it for me as well (I won't spoil here what happened).
    I hope to see more of Lewk, see some character development, and some looseness on his part as he continues in Thudners Arena. It would also be a plus, at least for me, if he shaved his legs!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...