Tuesday, September 27, 2011

[27]







Here's one I remember from the summer of 1991, when it was brand spanking new: a semi-final bout between Steve Simpson and the Lightning Kid for the then-brand-new Global Wrestling Federation in Dallas. Twenty years ago I thought Simpson was the next Kevin Von Erich, and while he lacked Kevin's blond, all-American-jock looks and blithely entitled boss's-son swagger, Steve had attitude and the moves--Kev's brother from another mother, from another continent--and I liked him--how much because of or in spite of the Dee Snider hairdo, I could never decide.

And this was his best match, in my opinion, even though he was three or four years past his prime, I thought at the time, battling new wavy The Lightning Kid (back when Sean Waltman was barely nineteen). Just the suggestion that this was a heavy-metal-loving big brother teaching an overly aggressive punk kid brother a needed lesson--an impression mildly abetted by the commentator who says Steve is going to "put [the Kid] to bed"--was enough to jump-start me--and the image of Steve twisting and rolling the Kid in a circle immediately etched itself in my memory (a good thing since I had neglected to tape the show).

Thank you, sportjockma, for bracing up the moment for me by publishing the fight (along with many others) on YouTube (here).

2 comments:

  1. Yes, many fantasies here, too, Joe. I kept thinking/wishing Simpson were gay, but alas, probably not, as he's now married and the father of 6 kids. Only recently I learned he wrestled tagteam with a 'brother' and saw a video or two of them together on youtube.

    MAwrestler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe,

    Thanks for the post, when I think of the spent treasure over Steve Simpson, WOW. I can’t place the date when I first saw this and 1991 might be right, I am thinking it is post WCCW and into the Global Wrestling period and by the time I saw it Global was running second (third, fourth) showings on ESPN, which may have been later than 1991.

    Somewhere on a disintegrating VHS I have this match, and have watched it over and over, if recollection serves me right this was a tournament situation in which Lightning Kid had to fight several opponents including Chaz before emerging……. victorious????. The only thing I can say with certainty is that I made a mess all over myself then and now as I watch these fights. Lightning Kid is great subject for fellow blogger Bard’s bodies over time, cause as sweet a sight as was his nineteen year old frame, when he finally moved on the square cut trunks by the time he was in his 30s (somewhere I have the 3PW DVD’s to prove it) he looked even more splooge worthy.

    Topher

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...