Note to Santa: Three Posters I Want Framed and Hanging on my Living-Room Wall ... Pronto!

Hercules, Samson and Ulysses (1963, dir. Pietro Francisci, starring Kirk Morris, Richard Lloyd, and Enzo Cerusico--of the three this is the only one I remember seeing in a movie theater on its first release)

The Magnificent Beast (1953, dir. Chano Urueta, starring Miroslava, Croz Alvaredo, and Wolf Ruvinskis--this is the one I'd most like looking at every day for the rest of my life, and if it means anything to you, Santa, it was released the year I was born, and IMDb rates it 8.8, higher than Citizen Kane--though with only 11 votes, not so impressive.)

Samson (1961, Fr. title: Samson contre Hercule, dir. Gianfranco Parolini, starring Brad Harris, Walter Reeves, and ... Serge Gainsbourg!)

Comments

  1. What in the world is Serge Gainsbourg doing in "Samson Contre Hercule?" The movie poster in my room is so much more gay..."Les Parapluies De Cherbourg."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bruno, I love that movie. I watch it at least once a year, at no set time, just when the mood hits me. The colors, Catherine Deneuve, Nino Castelnuovo, "Je vais attendre pour vous," "Recit de Cassard," and that bittersweet Yuletide ending will make anyone just a wee bit gayer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bard: "Samson Contre Hercule" was both an Italian and a French production. Since songwriter Gainsbourg had done a number of films and was immensely popular, he was hired to dubb the voice of the evil warlord Warkalla. He isn't actually an actor in the film, but putting his name on the credits could hurt in France.

    The English version of the film was released as merely "Samson,"if I recall.

    MAwrestler

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more