Monday, December 26, 2011


Final week of another year. This one came with a lot of bumps for me. (Don't ask.) When I was younger, I rose two rungs for every rung I slipped down. Now I'd say the equation has reversed, two rungs down for every rung up, with stretches of grinding routine in between.

I don't like getting old--I don't like what happens to the mind and the body over time. I hate even bringing the subject up, since I don't like complaining about every shortcoming and disappointment. Truthfully, I like being alive, even in late middle age. Trouble rolls steadily throughout a whole lifetime. For every decade there's a new fight to be true to oneself, new obstacles to push through. 

My teenage years and my early twenties, ages 15 to 25, more or less, were years of tumult I would not want to repeat. (Everybody dreams of this--to be young and know what we know now.) I see the familiar pained looks in the eyes of students that I remember from forty years ago, so the developmental stages appear fairly consistent and probably immutable. So, typically, I don't envy the young. I had all that and wasted none of it. But watching this OCWOBackyard video from two and a half weeks ago makes me wish I were eighteen again, with a huge fenced-in back yard, and three rowdy pals like Arjun, Creed, and Matt Steel to wallop on. I can't help it. This adolescent swagger--as twilight falls, and girlfriends sulk in the background--puts a big loopy smile on my face.

1 comment:

  1. Once, before is lost everything I saved, I had some of these guys' videos on YouTube. I particularly was impressed by Steele. I think I read somewhere that after these were made he was part of a collegiate wrestling program and had entertained some offers to go pro. I'd love to see him on the Indy circuit or at RHW or someplace similar.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...