Man of a Thousand Flips










Last week, Beefcakes of Wrestling featured UK wrestler Charlie Garrett twice--a great find for fans of wrestling muscle everywhere. On YouTube you can find this video of a May 25th British Wrestling Federation match, pitting Charlie against PJ Jones. 

BWF was founded in January to "re-popularize British Wrestling," apparently in response to current efforts to establish WWE and TNA as the benchmarks of professional wrestling everywhere. As a fan of what I've seen of the old (1965-1985) World of Sport wrestling shows, I'd like to see wrestling in the UK regain its position as something other than an imitation of American-style wrestling and reclaim its place, with Canada, Mexico, and Japan, as an international influence and trendsetter. 

If Charlie is not the answer to all that, he is at least a good thing for wrestling, an archetypal babyface if ever there was one.

Comments

  1. The video has been removed. Too bad as he looks like a sexy beefy face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently the video contained illegal use of the music of Liquid Lacuna, perhaps as entrance music. I don't even remember music. There was that body, for one thing.

      Delete
  2. Part of what I've liked about British wrestling is the ritualizing: the pre-match inspections by the refs, the formal introductions of the wrestlers in their respective corners, the ring jackets and stretching with the ringropes. Hell, when I first got turned on to wrestling in my youth, those were the things that got me hard at the top of the TV hour. I'm not ashamed to admit that every once in awhile I was shooting away before the first holds had been engaged. The wrestling devil is in those details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad, I am right with you on the allure of these pro-wrestling rituals. As I have stated elsewhere, I also like the division of the match into rounds because it gives us fans a chance to see the wrestler on break, mentally regrouping, being rubbed down by his trainer. I'd trade all the in-ring promos and angry microphone rants for just a shot or two of a glistening wrestler sipping water through a straw out of the corner of his mouth, eyes determinedly fixed on his opponent in the opposite corner.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more