No More Fun for You
High-flying, super-kicking Tucker, 5'7", 194#, challenges man-mountain JDP, 6'2", 282#, in this championship match for Pro Wrestling Ulster (shot in May and telecast the following month). Thanks to Dale for messaging me with the YouTube link via Skull Island's Facebook page.
Ah, the Irish! As a kid I boned up on Native Americans and Italians, joined by African Americans and Jews in my early twenties, but for the past twenty-five years my hard-ons have mostly favored the Irish, especially those whose faces constantly flicker between existential sorrow and righteous rage. (I generalize, of course, but then I freely admit to a number of unflattering traits attributable to my Germanic roots--a heart that sometimes pumps ice water through my arteries, especially on view in my grim sense of humor and response to constructive criticism; ugly eruptions of schadenfreude; and an unhip taste for kitsch and sweet white wine.)
The match, which starts at the 9:45 mark, is gripping. My standout moments are easy to spot:
- the wrestlers' good-will hug at the start (9:58),
- the little kids who try to help Tucker back to his feet at 13:29,
- any number of shots that demonstrate how well packed Tucker's trunks are (let's just go with, at random, 16:22 for an example ... fourth photo above),
- not one but TWO knocked-out refs (at 17:16 and at 25:25),
- JDP's DDT (17:25),
- Tucker's leaping takedown at 20:56,
- a feckin'-unbelievable piledriver at 26:21, followed by Tucker's 10-second parade of facial expressions (26:32-42 ... last photo for just one of them),
- and a tasty bit of referee malfeasance at 27:40.