Great Moments in Babyface History: 1991
Rob Zakowski* vs Rikki Nelson, 9 August 1991, Taylorsville, NC (South Atlantic Pro Wrestling)
- That moment when career babyface Nelson (in black trunks) played heel in a match against rookie babyface Zakowski (in blue), who later in the decade turned heel under a different name. In a way it's one of those two-ships-passing-in-the-night moments.
- That moment when any two junior-heavyweight babyfaces square off against each other in the squared circle, both blond, both muscular with a marshmellow-y coating of baby fat, both apparently capable of sweating on command.
- That moment when one of these two babyfaces is Rikki Nelson, who had already made a pretty good career of getting the shit kicked out of him by the likes of Ivan Koloff, Dick Murdoch, and Bobby Eaton, among others.
- That moment when referee Brandon Watson finds not just one, not two, but three opportunities to squeeze himself between the two well-oiled bodies of Nelson and Zabowski (see the first GIF, above, for the third opportunity)--that moment when I realize I sorta pissed away my one and only shot as ref.
- That same moment when Nelson aims a balled-up fist at Zakowski's face but Zakowski beats him to the punch, but the ref sees only Zakowski breaking the rules and misjudges the situation--"a tremendous blow in the corner," the ringside commentator says, setting my heart aflutter.
- That not-so-great moment when I realize this match is not going to end the way I would like it to.