Cool as a Cucumber, Deadly as a Ninja











Jake Jenkins vs Cliff Johnson, Catalog 6 (Rock Hard)

He has never once failed to light my wick, but how did I ever forget how absolutely stunning Jake Jenkins was when he first crossed my radar over six years ago in this Rock Hard match, his underground wrestling debut? His career spanned ("spans"? please say it isn't over!) three great internet promotions: Rock Hard, BG East, and, most recently, though briefly, Thunder's Arena. In each venue he has been a clear standout - in sex appeal, in toughness, in versatility (great heel, fantastic babyface), in expressiveness, in technique, in strength, in suffering, and in triumph - though (amazingly, in retrospect) almost self-effacing in his commitment to each fight drama he is booked for. I never catch him trying to draw attention to anything but the fight itself.

I say almost self-effacing, because, with all respect and admiration for Cliff Johnson in this 2011 match, Jake commands 100 percent of my attention from start to finish. Cliff could have stepped out of the ring to take a phone call, and I would not have noticed. That said, Jake's style is decidedly easygoing ... to the point of offhandedness at times, yet with no loss to the power and impressiveness of each and every performance. Jake is a natural. Even though he speaks fluent smack, he doesn't need the logorrhea of other wrestlers to draw attention to himself. He draws attention to himself by simply being Jake Jenkins.

In my first review of Jake, I pontificated on wrestling as a ritual, more than sport and more than entertainment for gay men like me. I still think it has a spiritual dimension appending to its eroticism, and while I did not put it this way at the time, for the past seven years Jenks has been its Jesus, its Rama, its Adonis, its shepherd-warrior David, its Heimdallr, its Percival, its Dick Grayson, its Elvis, its St George, its St Sebastian. Even if he never steps foot on a mat again, he will remain an almost mythological figure in underground wrestling - like Mark Lander before him - and though I doubt his impact on the genre will be widely recognized in the world at large, it will, I suspect, be rediscovered and reappraised not once, but many times over the decades, especially since there are few archetypal wrestlers today that he has not at some point taken on in the ring or on the mat.


Visit Rock Hard Wrestling here.




Comments

  1. It seems like ages since Rock Hard has released a new match. Any ideas why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, me too. Always liked RHW as one of the best - awesome muscle wrestlers and a great ring. So many other video productions don't have the ring or set up for a real bout.

      Delete
    2. Well, I heard from some sources that the owner of RHW, is planning to do some filming sometime soon. I've emailed him in the past asking about why there have been long hiatuses and his response was really rude. He made it sound like he doesn't care about the fan base. Maybe if he brought back some of the old roster, instead of relying on a roster of less than 10 guys, people wouldn't grow so concerned about the status of RHW. Maybe if we email him about the hiatus and bringing back some of the old roster, he'll see that people are getting impatient with all these "encore presentations."

      Delete
    3. RockHard is a dead promotion to me. They did (do?) have good looking guys and good equipment. But for several reasons outlined above I have real problems with them. And one more: the wrestling is often poor, the script formulaic. I don't know why they appear to have ceased production. I would assume they don't have the money to pay the talent (which, I assume, is why all of the old guard is gone). But I think G Ruedas has hit the nail on the head: they don't respect the fans. The entire idea of "Encore Presentations" is absurd on its face: a product that was always available isn't really making a return. I wish someone would purchase their website, library & equipment, and relaunch it into a better-run version of RHW.

      Delete
    4. It's not a matter of money, their roster just is too small. Axel, Frey, and Zack work for other companies. Dash, Bruce, and Alex all have kids now. Which only leaves only Chad, Tanner, and Wes who just didn't seem to win too many fans. As ignorant as I sound, I still am holding out the RHW will at least finish their latest catalogue. I just wish they'd try bringing back some of the old roster like Matt Engel, Justin Silver, Kyle Carter, Logan Matthews, etc.

      Delete
    5. There is a new site debuting in about 3 weeks that Austin, Dash and Tanner are wrestling for. It is also has 2 teen bodybuilders that are popular on Instagram. Check out 88wrestling.com.

      Delete
    6. The main url has nothing to show but I was able to find some pages using google. I think RHW is trying to rebrand itself because people have marked it as dead. So far they have 3 veterans Austin, Dash, and Tanner and 4 newcomers. They also have 2 matches up already. From what I've seen, it looks promising.

      Delete
  2. Joe you are spot on as always with your admiration and description of Double J. And, as always, you have the best prose of any blogger on any topic online.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more