Sunshine Heel












Ace Owens vs Nathan FX (Wrestler4Hire)

Wrestler4Hire says Ace and Nathan were boyhood pals. I don't believe everything I read, but I believe this mostly because I'd like it to be true. The thought of little Ace and little Nathan roughhousing in the backyard or trick-or-treating as Hulk Hogan and Macho Man Savage soothes my soul. But their LTR, as heartwarming as it may be, is not what I want to blog about.

This blog is about Ace as a heel. 

My tastes in heels have mostly leaned towards the jaded and businesslike, guys who rough up other guys for the paycheck or, better, out of boredom, harboring no animosity towards their victims while ripping them limb from limb without an ounce of compunction. Emotion, if they feel any, takes the form of a wry smirk. I mean heels like Mark Lander, Bass Wallace, and Nick Flex.

This match convinces me there's a heel type I like almost as much as the glowering badass: The cheerful sadist. As much as I have always liked him, I used to think that Ace Owens was trapped forever in the role of boy-next-door babyface. His is a face for beaming thousand-dollar smiles all the way to the cheap seats. His green unworldliness once seemed antithetical to the role of heel. Now he seems like the Nadia Comaneci of vice.

Back in the day, Nathan, along with his brothers, used to kick Ace's ass, or so we are informed in an opening dialogue. Now Nathan wants to show off his new muscle, and Ace wants to take a crack at that muscle. The harder Nathan pushes, the more worked up Ace gets, and the more worked up Ace gets, the harder life becomes for Nathan. Vengeance long awaited is not just sweet for Ace, it makes him downright giddy with delight. 

And the joy he feels ripping FX a new hole is infectious. He almost can't stop grinning even as he chokes his old pal out and then sweatily reclines on the loveseat to take in the sight of his conquered playmate - and neither can I. To look at me, I could be watching Looney Tunes cartoons or Singin' in the Rain, but I'm watching Ace, all sunshine and dimples, gut his childhood friend. 

That's entertainment! In this 24-minute ruckus, the apple-cheeked roughneck Ace Owens notches up another star turn as a heel. 


Visit Wrestler4Hire here.

Comments

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more