Muscle vs Hustle










Brian Cage vs Matthew Riddle, Paying Paul, Worcester, Massachusetts (Beyond Wrestling)

You already know my favorite thing is tight, inextricable clenches on the mat or against the ropes. Something else I like is bodies being heaved, tossed, hurled, slammed, and shattered. Sadly it's not something I did in my youth - perhaps to my benefit in the long run - but I enjoy entering the experience vicariously. This early 2017 event offers nothing but catapulting bodies all the way to the end, when Matt's MMA instincts kick in and he goes for the jugular (literally).

My love for the inventive dementia of Beyond Wrestling is longstanding. If WWE is the place wrestling goes to cash in and retire, Beyond Wrestling is the place where new wrestling styles and gimmicks originate.  A live Beyond show is definitely on my bucket list - along with live shows in Mexico, Japan, and the UK - pipe dreams at present, but my pipe dreams have been known to come true from time to time. 

This was the first of three confrontations between Cage and Riddle in the winter of 2017.
Cage attacks right at the sound of the bell, knowing Riddle to be the tricky grappler that he is. Cage is nonstop in his assault, leaving his opponent little wiggle room and forcing Matt to fend him off with kidney punches and knife-edge chops to the torso. Brawn dominates for most of the match, but near the end Riddle capitalizes on a few lucky breaks and evens up the give and take in true bro style. 









Visit Beyond Wrestling here.

Comments

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more