Built Dudes Wearing Speedos: Interview with Tanner Hill of 88Wrestling


Tanner Hill was an easy interview. He has no pretensions, and his answers to my questions are direct and to the point. He saves the showing-off for the ring, and he's more interested in being frank than courting controversy or displaying a false modesty. Don't tell him this, but his tough guy talk turns me on, but even better are his athleticism and ring know-how, which have only grown since I first saw him in action nearly two years ago. He's clearly ready to be the Next Big Thing in underground wrestling. And he knows it.








Joe: What brought you to 88Wrestling?

Tanner: I had done fitness modeling for quite a while. Being in shape and pushing to look better is something I really enjoy. My name was brought up to 88Wrestling, and they reached out to me, asking if I would be interested in wrestling! Being that I have a small history of wrestling in the past, I didn't think twice about accepting the offer.

Joe: So you were already big on wrestling?

Tanner: Absolutely. I was more into the MMA side of watching fights. I did watch some WWE as well. MMA favorites are the great Mark Coleman and then Fedor, who still jumps into the octagon every so often. WWE favorite would have to be Hulk Hogan, not only for his performance in the ring, but also the drama he led on TV through his career.

Joe: You lost me with Hulk, but he was and still is a big deal in the world of professional wrestling. I'm in the minority on that one. Tell me more about your interest in MMA.

Tanner: I watch UFC and MMA. I'm a very big McGregor fan, although he can get himself in trouble every once in a while. His fighting style is something no one else can come close to. He is a machine on his feet.

Joe: Have you trained in MMA and boxing?

Tanner: I did a year of Brazilian jujitsu to help with my wrestling in high school. Boxing, not so much. But I can for sure throw a punch and stand on my own.

Joe: Any other training or sports activity?

Tanner: I grew up on racing motocross, and my life was all about moto moto moto for several years.

Joe: It's easy for me to picture you on a bike.

Tanner: Motocross is something I have slowly grown away from because of injuries, but I still enjoy going to a track every so often. 

Joe: And now wrestling?

Tanner: Wrestling is not my main priority. I do love doing it and love the environment that surrounds wrestling. I'm far from it not being important to me, and far from it being the most important to me. I'm very much into lifting weights, although some do not see that as a sport but more of a hobby. It's what I love.

Joe: What's your typical workout?

Tanner: I lift for strength and mass. I've never had to try extremely hard to be lean or lift for looks. It just comes naturally. I split my muscle groups up throughout the week. Workouts are never the same. It's the only way to improve. A routine only gets you to a certain level, and I always want to improve. 

Joe: Does that extra training make you more self-confident at 88?

Tanner: My best wrestling asset when in the ring is endurance. I'm able to give a beating, take a beating, and continue to keep going.

Joe: What fires you up for a match?

Tanner: Music gets me in the mood to move. I put on a song that really brings out the best in me. I like to stretch, pump up, and get mentally ready to kick someone's ass.

Joe: Who was your toughest opponent?

Tanner: Dash has been my toughest opponent. He has more experience than I do and a slight height and weight advantage. Nothing I cannot handle, but he really puts me to work.

Joe: Who would you like as a tag partner?

Tanner: Chase would be a great partner. He is a machine.

Joe: Your recent match against him is what convinced me that 88Wrestling has arrived.

Tanner: He and I would work great together in a tag team match. He is strong. I'm strong. He knows how to fight. I can fight. And we both look great.

Joe: Amen to that.

Tanner: No one would stand a chance.

Joe: What do you think of your fans?

Tanner: My fans are great. I'm not sure why anyone would not want to be a fan of mine. I like to interact with them on social media when I get the chance. Great people.

Joe: Who haven't you wrestled but you would like to wrestle?

Tanner: Jett. I don't know who the guy is. I don't like new people in my ring.

Joe: I like your attitude, Tanner. You get into fights when you were in school?

Tanner: I did.

Joe: Tell me more, please.

Tanner: In school I was not a very big guy like I am now, but I could stand my ground. I would like to think I was fairly popular in my school days. But there were a few individuals that were on my bad side. One I can remember was a kid that would constantly talk shit, and one day he had the balls to mumble something to me in the hallway in front of a few girls. Without thinking of repercussions, I threw an elbow and knocked him on his ass. Then one more punch when he was getting up broke his jaw.

Joe: Damn! You ARE bad-ass!

Tanner: Not only was I out of school for six weeks, but I was also taken to juvenile center for battery on school grounds. Fun time. But I'm happy with it.

Joe: Tough AND dangerous. I may swoon. So which do you prefer? A knockout? A submission? Or a pin?

Tanner: Submission. A submission allows your opponent to willingly give up because they know they can't win. And I love to see the fear and disappointment in their eyes when they have no choice but to give up.

Joe: Great answer. Now you're talking my language. I hesitate to ask but I gotta know: what do you think of fans, like me, who see wrestling as sexy and gay?

Tanner: People see it as sexy, but it's sexy dudes kicking each other's ass. We work hard to look good and people like that. People can see it as gay for the same reason. It's two built dudes wearing Speedos and shorts, crawling all over each other. It's all one's point of view and what they enjoy.

Joe: What, in your opinion, makes 88Wrestling stand out from other online wrestling sites?

Tanner: 88Wrestling is by far the most competitive, organized, and entertaining site out there. The people in charge of 88Wrestling put in work far beyond what most people would expect. There is never any miscommunication within the organization. And the wrestlers involved are the greatest and can put on a show like none other.

Joe: So what's in your future at 88?

Tanner: I'm dying to get a second shot at King of the Ring. I know that I'm able to obtain that belt. It belongs to me, ... and all of them know it.



Visit 88Wrestling here.












Comments

  1. Yeah, I'd love to see him tag with Chase. I'd enjoy an interview with Decker, please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanner mentioned his social media... Where????

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more