残忍



Soma Takao vs Yuki Ueno, Dramatic Rokumonsen* 2019, 14 January 2019, Osaka (DDT)

[SPOILERS]

Before the match officially begins, Yuki Ueno (23, 5'9"163#) attacks Soma Takao (33, 5'8" 172#) from behind, thrusting him outside the ring to pummel him among the quickly vacated seats. Takao gets his vengeance, though, with a volley of ice-cold attacks. Such onslaughts have made me a fan of Dramatic DDT wrestling, whose profile pages include each wrestler's blood type (!) in addition to height and weight. The GIFs below minimize the give and take in this battle, partly because I so enjoy the electroshock-style vengeance Takao renders upon Ueno.

Why is Japanese pro wrestling so much better than the pro wrestling everywhere else - or at least why do I think it is? I love the horrifying suddenness of its retributions, a taste I have written about elsewhere in this blog. They land like lightning bolts, and the recipients often (as here) express the after-shocks feelingly. The trauma reverberates throughout their bodies.

I know I feel some forms of violence as erotic and have since childhood. As a kid, I felt aroused watching Tarzan kick elephant-hunter butt and Mighty Mouse skewer villainous alley cats. (I draw the line at thumbtacks, staples, and bloodletting - these do nothing to improve on and, in fact, they would detract from the charge I get from, say, Takao's Gin & Tonic finisher in the final GIF.)

Anyway, it's rare I get to witness as well crafted a dramatization of youthful hubris getting paid back as Takao vs Ueno. Though not flawless, it is enacted with feeling and rhythm. I can't even picture these moments in memory without feeling them in my muscles and my bones.









Visit DDT here.

* Rokumonsen is the name of the six-coin crest of the 16th-century Sanada clan - a coin for each of the six underworlds a samurai passes through after death. It symbolizes a willingness to fight to the death in battle. The clan's founder Sanada Yukimura is, by the way, a playable character in a number of video games, including Pokemon Conquest.

Comments

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more