Fake Fantasy Is a Reality












Maxwell Jacob Friedman vs Matthew Riddle, Welcome Home - Night 2 (Beyond Wrestling)

This is the moment this 2018 match came to life: Riddle kicking the shit out of MJF outside the ring. It happens near the video's midpoint. It captures a lot of fantasies built on a single memory of high school - when muscular C beat the crap out of chubby bully D in the locker room - which my imagination has made more elaborate over time. Fake details accrued, borrowing from other life experiences, movies, et cetera. Probably this match will lend more details (C was not a high kicker, for instance, but he packed a mean and jet-fast punch - oh, did I mention both he and D were naked? - true story).

The bad doughboy has long been a fascination of mine even before Wrestling Arsenal coined the term. Even more than I like bad doughboy vs good doughboy matches, I love good well-built athlete vs bad doughboy, like here. There's no moral to this story, just a memory from a locker room far away and long ago. Doughboys are themselves great athletes - note MJF's broad shoulders and overall shapeliness - and they are fascinating performers in the squared circle, where their girth becomes part of the mythology of wrestling and a tempting target.

Riddle is a little noisy for the particular fantasy I'm thinking of. (C was quiet and circumspect, shocking everybody when he suddenly pounded D into the wet concrete floor.) Still, I like the wild-man type - part of my cowboy and jungle lord fantasies and other genres. What precedes and follows the above incident in the Riddle-Friedman brawl is less interesting to me - pretty routine and not momentous - but it does have the asset of a sudden ending.


Visit Beyond Wrestling here.




Comments

  1. ok … I never have considered MJF to be a doughboy but after ruminating about it for a day or so I have come to the conclusion that he (kind of) is … insofar as he’s not as toned as some of the boys that grace the pages of RaSI but I love his beefy badness in the same way I loved the men who rassled in the heyday of Championship Wrestling from Florida.

    (…and I know Matt Riddle is getting a lot of press this year but there’s something about him that doesn’t really work for me… ah well, back to ruminating)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more