Old Flame












Kevin Von Erich vs Jim Pride 1981 (Georgia Championship Wrestling)

I'm almost over my 40-year Von Erich spell. I'm still drawn to the old matches, especially his bouts with Jimmy Garvin, Roger Kirby, and Gino Hernandez, but most of his stuff later in the 80s lacks the pow of the wrestling I enjoy nowadays. Early KVE, before he bulked entirely up, still pulls me in, not so much for the wrestling, but for the moment in time, when the strapping young Texan linked my lust for grappling with non-wrestling eidolons like Peter Berlin, Tarzan, and Jan-Michael Vincent - maybe a touch of Peter Tork and Christopher Atkins, too (heads up, fellow old-timers).

Lean, well-muscled, smooth as flower petals, Kevin Von Erich was a welcome relief from the bulky bruisers I whacked off to through the previous decade. He was made for TV, more specifically, made for ringside announcer Gordon Solie's effusive magniloquence (the origin of my taste for purple prose). Television wrestling of the period allowed for closer views of wrestlers in short studio matches and interviews that were just as short, but still remained distant enough to make my imagination fill in details of its own invention. 

Whatever disadvantage that distance was to Kevin, he compensated for by striking statuesque poses (specifically Michelangelo's David's contrapposto pose) and arching, balletic gestures. His use of his body as a wand to cast spells made his allure readable not just on TV but in large arena shows. His poise and heroic leaps could be read even from the cheap seats. His crotch drew attention (mine, anyway). It was the crown of his glorious thighs. It seemed to lead his attacks (notice the fifth GIF, in particular), and I was always thrilled by the way Kevin's armbars usually brought it to rest over his opponent's tantalized face (the third GIF). 


Comments

  1. YESSS!!!
    Young Von Erichs were SO Hot!!!
    Thank you for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, that gave me an instant boner. The first time I saw a match with Kevin Von Erich, his handsome face, the blond hair, the lean muscular body: I was a goner. I think I fantasized about him for days (I was probably pre-teen).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more