Hump











Max Ryder vs 3X Champion Axel, Match 781 - Hump Match (UCW) 

I kinda do and kinda don't like hump matches. Sometimes they look like fun, especially when the contestants are young, wild, and unselfconscious. The idea of a hump match for a championship still needs to be explained to me, but I've grown to appreciate UCW's cockamamie storylines as high camp, which similarly I like and dislike. I'm grown-up enough to know that not everything has to be for me and to my tastes. 

Axel and Max have faced each other in singles competition on a number of occasions. I think it was three times, but I am not sure. They have also been tag partners and tag adversaries. They have a history in various wrestling setups. By far the hump match is the oddest. As a novelty act, it works. Put these guys in a blowup kiddie pool filled with tapioca pudding and let them hump themselves raw. But a ring match, and a championship match at that? I just don't know. 

If nothing else, hump matches make UCW different, and different can be good. What other promotion has hump matches? And it's not just humping. This match features gut punches, crab holds, and ball grabbing, too, among other undignified abuses. 

Visit UCW here.




Comments

  1. Great thumbnails and analysis. I believe this works because of the history between the two. Axel is the king of UCW. A three time champion. Max come across as a little doughy/ soft but over the last few years has toughened up. I'm interested to see if Axel is able to defend the championship against the bigger dare say I newbie? Max is transforming and shedding his dough boy image. Well, let's see.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more