The Picture of Virility












Kelly King vs Toney Rico, Big Boy Battles 1 (BG East)

Kelly King is on my short list of favorite BG East wrestlers not because he has previously worked for TNA and WWE, but because the guy is a meaty brute who sends shivers up my spine. The shivers are doubled when he aims his 5'10" 200# bulk at another man-beast, in this case Toney Rico, who I figure doesn't have a chance against King despite a physical advantage (6'1", 210#). King's appetite for and effectiveness in hurting opponents, which Rico appears short of, shift the advantage his way.

Without introductions, the two men square off. King is quick to secure Rico's head in a side lock, turning to face the camera while cranking up the pressure on his opponent's ears and jawline. He backs the guy to the nearest corner and slams his forearm across the man's chest. Toney lunges back towards Kelly, who again secures him in a side headlock - probably my favorite of all "big boy" holds.  Then he switches to a standing arm bar - another classic hold I love. True to form, King looks invigorated by Rico's pain and manages to look ravishing, his body taut and masterly, as he puts pressure on Rico's shoulder, forcing him to kneel.

King grabs a clump of Rico's hair, yanking the head up so the camera can get a clear view of the pain on the guy's face. I don't think Kelly's sadism makes him a heel. It only makes him sexy. For him, pain is just a tool in the long game of wearing his adversary down. He lacks the vanity, cowardice, and depravity I define a heel by. He's a clean-cut, able-bodied Texas boy, all smiles, who plays less to win than to rough up his rivals. He belongs to a long line of Lone Star bruisers, neither fully faces nor fully heels, like Dory and Terry Funk, Stone Cold Steve Austin, and Chavo Guerrero, who love nothing better than to feud and fight.

Once the arm bar has Toney facedown flat on the mat, I catch sight of the full panoply of Kelly's physique, with his country-big arms and smooth, commodious belly commanding most of my attention. Toney is a tough customer, long-suffering and slow to submit, giving me time to soak in every inch of his oppressor's body, perhaps the best view of King's bulges I've ever had. King works the guy against the ropes and turnbuckle for 31 minutes. If Rico gets a single hope spot in all that time, I must have blinked and missed it.

There's not a gram of effete or phony in Kelly's bearing. His handsomeness derives from his forthright air, the set of his jawline, and the brassy density of his physique. Physically, he reminds me of Carl Bloch's painting of the manacled Samson, which made my insides shiver when I was a boy, thumbing through the illustrated family bible. (Some remnants of my early devotion have lasted longer than others.)


Both Kelly and Toney have bodies that look like they can take and deliver a pounding. This makes them classically ideal for ring wrestling, and their "big boy battle" (or single-sided squash) is epic.


Visit BG East here.



Comments

  1. Spot on about King. I like your characterization about classic heels - the vanity, depravity, cowardice. King is none of that. He just seems quietly and efficiently ruthless. To me that's much hotter (and a bit scarier - maybe two sides to the same coin) than the flamboyant heel.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more