Tristan Vilain
Tristan Archer vs John "Bad Bones" Klinger, WrestlingKULT #7 (WrestlingKULT)
I thought I liked Archer best as a golden boy babyface, the people's hero, but having now watched him play the heel like he was born for the job, I have to say I like evil Tristan better. He's still the magnificent slab of high-grade beef he's been for years, but villainy increases his options considerably. Taking on Bad Bones here, he exhibits the kind of hotshot swagger and self-admiration he lacked as a good guy, and it suits him.
Based on looks alone, fifty years ago Klinger would have been the villain, but the times being what they are, the "bad" is now the people's warrior. Also, Klinger's German, like the Oberhausen crowd here in 28 April 2018. Bad Bones plays off Archer brilliantly, gruff, humorless, a no-nonsense grappler whose extended side headlock on Tristan, early in the contest (first three GIFs above, is what drew me to this video in the first place.
There's a decisive ending to the match, followed by some more drama of the sort that's now commonplace in professional wrestling. All the drama I need is in Archer's posturing and the rough handling he gives the challenger and vice versa. Now as always, Tristan is best when he's taking a hard punch or body slam, but his showmanship as the aggressor is topnotch, re-energizing my interest in him as a ring performer. The harsh white overhead lighting adds to the tone of brute masculinity.
Visit WrestlingKULT here (in German).










Comments
Post a Comment