Pretty in Pain 5: Grimm / Monix Edition



Simon Grimm vs Pat Monix, Anniversary 1, 24 August 2018, Chicago (Zelo Pro Wrestling)

Who would have thought that one match could be such a motherlode of ravishing anguish and pain? For previous editions of this series (here, here, here, and here) I culled images of ring agony from around the world. But here I found everything I need in one place, at Joe's on Weed Street in Chicago. 

The knockout-only match occurred two months ago. Monix (6', 200#) is relatively new to the business, just four years, but in that time he has garnered lots of attention, having recently appeared as Dr. Winston Von Vorhees of Antartica in an episode of Monday Night Raw. Monix looks a bit like he's in pain even when he isn't, which adds to his beauty, in my opinion. How much greater, then, when uber-heel Grimm puts him (almost literally) through the meat grinder!

Grimm checks in at 6', 209#, not much heavier than Monix whom he seemingly engulfs in and out of the ring, in no small part due to his having over four times as much ring experience. He has also wrestled for WWE under the name Simon Gotch, one half (with Aiden English) of The Vaudevillains. His Gotch years no doubt have given him a taste for the Grand Guignol, very much in evidence here, not to mention the classic simplicity of black-trunks pro wrestling.





















Visit Zelo Pro here.

Comments

  1. Nice write-up! I featured the same match in my annual Halloween Gorefest article, check it out: http://www.wrestlingarsenal.net/wordpress/?p=33127. We captured several of the same
    enticing or exciting moments: the barrage of fists in the corner, the chair kick, the whiskey in the face, obvy the curb stomp! It always interests me, what exact moments catch another blogger's eye. You and I are not far off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Great minds ...," as they say. I don't know how I missed your article. Absolutely brilliant, as usual!! As I have said many times, there would be no Ringside at Skull Island had there not first been Wrestling Arsenal!

      Delete

  2. Thanks for posting this match!
    It pushed all(!) my buttons for an old school match with new school participants. I might have missed this match if it did not show up here on Skull Island but now I'm tuned to Zelopro!

    I’ve only seen Simon Gotch (Grimm, but I prefer Gotch) a couple of times (mostly on Ring of Honor) but I was immediately turned on by his thick body, copious sweat, throw-back aesthetic and hard-hitting moves. I love his thick midsection and big thighs. My experience with Pat Monix is limited to his Instagram and this blog so I was happy to see him in this match.

    It’s so interesting you point out that Gotch and Monix are similar size because Gotch seems so much bigger (and more brutal.) Monix really seemed to take some abuse here and I was surprised he bladed himself. The only thing that would have made this match better was if Gordon Solie had been calling it. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more