Fighting Irish



Jordan Devlin vs Scotty Davis, Live in Belfast 3, 16 December 2018 (Over the Top Wrestling)

The title above is not just a stereotype or the name of a football team. It's why I love the Irish. They have a reputation for scrapping like alley cats and getting only meaner as the fight wears on. The only Irish I've come to know in actual life were Irish American, and almost every one of them liked to fight for fun, especially after a night on the town. You might not guess it, but this crisp, sharp brawl between Devlin, a 13-year veteran out of County Wicklow, and Davis of Dublin, who debuted less than two years ago, ends with a handshake and a hug. Until that moment, though, you'd think they're out to kill each other.

The fans are divided between the two. Each wrestler has half of the house on his side. I first caught Devlin nine years ago, when he was wrestling in Germany under the name Aguila Artois. Davis is new to me, but I hear he's a rising star in wrestling, and I believe it on the weight of this match alone. I like his wiry build and Guy Fawkes facial hair, but mostly I like how feisty he is. He and Jordan exchange blows at lightning speed. At one point Devlin yanks Davis to his feet by his mustache. And that messy business captured in the first GIF below is the sort of thing I'd like to see more of in wrestling.













Comments

  1. I strongly that we need to see more of this kind Irish feistiness and pacing in other places and venues.

    I particularly enjoy the elbow in the fourth GIF. The implication for me for the last one is victory for Devlin. Is that right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I checked on YouTube and I think there are 3 videos of matches between these wrestlers, with one posted from multiple sources. From the OnDemand label, I think that this one is attributed with an over half hour running time. I didn't check to see how much of that was spent not wrestling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in error the 33+ minute match was vs. Walter, that the fat slob won.

    I enjoyed this feature match. I also enjoyed the tag match in which Jordan and Scotty were partners. Obviously, they won.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of Devlin's trainers was Fergal DeWitt>Prince Devitt>Finn Bálor. They've known each other since Jordan was 12, but they've only faced each other in the ring twice. They're genuinely good friends.

    The first time was a tag-team match in Ireland, 2011. Devlin's team won. It's on YouTube but the lighting is miserable and I could rarely tell who was doing what to whom.

    The second was just on 1/12/2019 on NXT. Bálor won. Jordan was upset because he was a last minute substitution for another Irish wrestler. He claims this made him ill-prepared and contributed to his loss.

    Will this hopefully end up being a rivalry of frenemies? I hope so , with an ebb and tide of victory alternating between them. Both been are superb ring-smiths and such a n enduring series of matches would be to say, stereotypically, "grand!"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more