A Bolt from the Blue












Shane Mercer vs Davey Richards, When Worlds Collide III (Pro Wrestling King, Revolution Championship Wrestling, Strong Style Wrestling)

I was a Davey Richards fan before I saw him live in two Ring of Honor shows in 2012 and 2013. But seeing him live magnified my appreciation for the man's artistry - ring psychology it's called in pro wrestling. Richards plays off the crowd the way a surfer rides a wave. He balances on the crest of the fans' expectations, which stoke him up for the jaw-dropping moments to come. Like the best wrestlers, he signals a move in advance - sometimes by half-performing it, halting, taking a break for emphasis, and then, after a beat or two, performing it in its entirety.

In this 2017 contest, he takes on Shane Mercer, a remarkable talent I've paid too little attention to. He looks fantastic. Davey is speedier here than I remember him. I'm not sure how I feel about that because I liked his measured, glowering style at ROH. But he still knows how to work the ring and the crowd, as well as his opponent. He's in the moment, expressive as all get-out, selling a move whether he's the giver or the receiver. 

He was 33 in the early months of 2017, as vigorous as a much younger man, savvy as a man his age or older. Shane is bigger and five years younger, but the two are well matched. In this contest - as in others - Richards plays the hothead whose temper sometimes moves him to rash acts. He can't read the situation for what it is, likely the opposite of Richards the man behind the gimmick. Richards the rageaholic is fascinating to watch - it's a dizzying display of aggression with Davey at full steam for almost every second. He gives every move and hold a little extra electricity.


Comments

  1. Both are such outstanding athletes. Richards is scientifically methodical, and Mercer is just jaw droppingly powerful. Fun match.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for introducing me to Shane Mercer. I don't follow mainstream wrestling, but I might start following this guy! have watched a few more of his matches this past week. Incredible athlete/showman! Just seems like such a hard way to make a living; I hope he gets well rewarded before that powerful body can't take anymore. Yes, your guy is good, too, but I just was mesmerized by Mercer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more