Pow!










Daniel Garcia vs Brandon Thurston, Temperature Rising (Empire State Wrestling)

Dr L sent me the link to this match, saying, "Hot, hot, hot." It is that, certainly. This recommendation followed close on the heels of a link to another (earlier, shorter. less momentous) Garcia battle, also greatly appreciated. Like me, Dr L likes pain and sweat to dominate the squared circle, and he shares with me a taste for strapping roughnecks like Garcia. 

Garcia wants the ESW heavyweight championship belt that's around Brandon Thurston's waist (or it was  around his waist two months ago, when this contest occurred). Garcia (in red) was five years old when Thurston (in blue) first wrestled professionally, fifteen years ago, so the youngster shows chutzpah (if not hubris) in challenging a man of Thurston's experience. He's taller than the champ, and, based on appearance, a lot stronger - factors that somewhat even the odds.

Without paying attention to the particulars, I assumed, at first, that this match occurred in the South, most likely Texas. My hunch was based on the rowdiness of the fight and the volumes of sweat involved. I was surprised to find out this battle took place in upstate New York. Thurston and Garcia alike are from Buffalo. At certain camera angles, Daniel Garcia bears a striking resemblance to Randy Orton and John Cena both. 

He seems to style himself especially on Orton, but I like him more than I do Orton (or Cena). I like the guy's fleshiness as opposed to the chiseled metal of top-shelf WWE talent. He has strong instincts and talent for ring drama (another reason I assumed he was Southern - regional prejudice, I guess). He lets himself get ugly in response to pain and rage, and, at 20 (soon to be 21) he is unusually adept at playing to the crowd and presenting an intimidating temper.









Visit Empire State Wrestling here.

Comments

  1. Totally agree, "fleshiness" is a good thing in a wrestler, wish we saw more of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Looks very hard core -- really puttin' on the hurt!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more