Beaten Down to Size


Aaron Solow vs Alex Coughlin, NJPW Lion's Break Project 2, Anaheim (New Japan Pro Wrestling)

Here's a great match that falls into three acts. The first part, my favorite, is old-school grappling, almost like watching the real thing. Tight, intricate holds keep the wrestlers on the ring floor, with Alex in basic black trunks prevailing. I love the way he chases and drags Solow down to the mat - like calf-roping at the rodeo. Then, long-haired Aaron explodes, and the two start punching and jabbing. The two are about even in Act Two. My least favorite part - but still thrilling - is the third and last act, and I suspect this will be most people's favorite part. Here come the high kicks and sudden turnarounds. 

Aaron is the veteran and the crowd favorite, with roughly five times Alex's experience in the ring. I'm not a fan of his ring gear, but his wild-man hair brings to mind Jimmy Snuka, who had more of an eye for titillating trunks. I was surprised to find out Snuka stood six feet tall. I always thought of him as a little guy. Maybe my small Japanese TV was to blame. Aaron and Alex both stand around six feet, Aaron slightly shorter.  Alex's alabaster skin looks great in classic black, and his shoulders, chest, and legs impress. His face reminds me of Derek Bolt at MuscleBoy. Hm, I just checked, and Bolt is a couple of inches taller than I imagined him. Go figure.












Visit New Japan Pro Wrestling here.

Comments

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more