Cracking the Shits








Adam Brooks vs Jett Armstrong, RCW Battle for Supremacy 2018 (Riot City Wrestling)

Thank you, Dr. L, for recommending this match of accelerating desperate measures packed into 14 minutes. Matches like this one challenge my prejudice against "acrobatic" wrestling. The flips and dives are show-offy, but, more importantly, they are brutal and exhausting, two qualities that transcend other questions of style. Occasionally they are as sudden and hard as real-life catastrophe. 

My overall impression of Australian wrestling has been and still is a collage of blond surfers, locker-room hijinks, low camp, and Japanese strong style. A party atmosphere prevails, but it has the dare-all grit and turmoil of Southern wrestling, without the churchy obsession with reckoning and redemption. It is fun, but seldom silly. And it is maniacally fast paced.

I rooted against Brooks in his rookie bouts with  Mickey Collins and Mike Petersen, but he's my man in this fight. I want the play-at-home version of this guy. Armstrong I know only in connection with his brother Nick, with whom he's been feuding lately (I am interested). In 2014 I said of him, "Five-foot-six Jett … is somebody I'd like to see perform real wrestling holds." Holds or no holds, his attacks and leaps here, though certainly choreographed, have punch. It helps that Brooks's sells are super-fine - diamond-encrusted dynamite.







Visit Riot City Wrestling here.

Comments

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more