Standstill














Maybe you wouldn't, but I like this messy and unpretentious match between Scrappy and Calvin, different in physique but equals in gumption. I love when wrestlers fight to a standstill. Scrappy and Calvin are seemingly mismatched, but actually kinda perfect for each other.The wrestling maneuvers are rec-room basic, limited to headlocks, scissors, schoolboy straddles, and toeholds. Until the end, neither gets a strong lead on the other. Calvin and Scrappy toggle between victory and submission. There are no intricate spots. But they break a generous sweat and huff and moan splendidly. They wear each other down repeating the aforementioned moves with NJPW levels of passion till the timer sounds the end. 

Scrappy doesn't know the meaning of phoning a fight in. If anyone is capable of giving something 110 percent, it's he. There isn't much action in the match, no body slams, no gorilla presses, but he is sweaty and flushed within seconds. Likewise, Calvin is in this thing for the long haul. He bends and stretches Scrappy, often so entangled with him that neither man can budge. All along the way Calvin and Scrappy are models of sportsmanlike decorum, shaking hands after each and every fall. Were I young and fit again, it would be Rogers I'd want to wrestle, but I'd want Scrappy there, too, pumped up on the edge of the mat, ready to take on the winner.


Visit NHB Fights here.


Comments

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more