Ass of Death













Steve Sterling vs Robert Carroll, Arena 22 (BG Enterprise)

Today's sensational title comes thanks to the BG Enterprise catalog description and Robert Carroll's awesome haunches. This is Carroll's only appearance at BG, and he faces competition bodybuilder Steve Sterling. Believe it or not, back in the day I thought Sterling was too muscular. Now I appreciate a muscly wrecking ball when I see one, even though I still wouldn't know what to do with him if I were dropped into a wrestling ring with him.

The action is far from polished, but it is as slammy and punchy and heaving as I could hope for. Billed as a squash job, Sterling (in yellow trunks)  vs Carroll (in zebra print) offers more give and take than we get in 21st-century squashes - and there's less posing and jabber. Sometimes the action looks sped up, so frenzied is the energy in the ring. Sterling is shorter but heavier. Carroll has the more statuesque build, which ignites Steve's destructive instincts. 

Scissors, chokes, and bearhugs - these are holds that inspire me. They are the essence of wrestling. Combined with body blows and body slams, as we see here, they are the tools of squared-circle storytelling. Sterling and Carroll sustain the frenetic pace from the beginning to the end of this 14-minute brawl. At the end the victor kneels on the loser's neck, as the poor guy gags and feebly thrashes.


Visit BG Enterprise here.

Comments

  1. Sterling had the body alright but he was one of the sorriest excuses for a wrestling performer that was on the circuit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more