Serge vs Tony
Serge Gentilly vs Tony Oliver, 1 January 1959
A Frenchman versus Spaniard match that goes for three falls, 30 minutes, ending in the annihilation of one of these wrestlers. Tony from Spain (in the dark trunks) is the heel and plays his treachery with bulldog panache. Serge (in the light trunks) belongs to the wave of handsome French bodybuilders who rose to prominence in post-WW2 France. This was the era of Italian peplum movies and Physique Pictorial in the USA. Something was definitely in the air for the 20 years after the war - apart from radiation, I mean. Here Serge proves he can do more with his muscle than just strike poses. Regrettably I know nothing about these guys except what I see in this one match, so I have no background or commentary on them, but I like what I see.











Vintage French pro wrestling was the best. Those guys had much more appeal and technical skills than today’s wrestlers. They were manly and charismatic.
ReplyDelete