Underground Sumo












Gunnar vs Austin Cooper, Big Boy Matt Attack (Can-Am)

I sped through the arm-wrestling warm-up as I usually do, but I hit the brakes for the bear-hug challenge. The antagonists' struggle to heave and topple each other reminds me of sumo - not that I am an avid fan, but over the last couple of years I've been thinking how hot it might be to replace the arm-wrestling opener with the combatants - particularly ones who are impressively built - grabbing the backs of each other's mawashi  in repeated attempts to catapult each other to the ground. That should work up a good followup fight between them, especially, as here, if the competitors are well matched.

Gunnar and Coop are built like industrial storage tanks so they're well suited to a sumo-style contest. Gunnar looks like a beefier reboot of Scott Caan; Austin resembles Channing Tatum if Tatum were shaved smooth as a volleyball. Austin has had an interesting career in underground wrestling, starting almost a decade ago and over the years branching out, like many others, to multiple promotions. Gunnar is newer to me, but I can't get enough of his rugged looks and wry, understated humor. He and Coop play a junkyard version of King of the Hill. The fight is low in intensity and energy, but high in formality, more a ceremony of gruff sensuality than sport, which is why, I suppose, I made the connection to sumo.

Visit Can-Am here.

Comments

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more