Mexican Death Match











Joey Cantrell vs Lobo Gris, Match 748 - Mexican Death Match (UCW)

I heard about Mexican (or Texas) death matches in the 1970s. They were too long to show on TV, so I never saw one. Back in the 1960s, Dory Funk, Jr., and Mike DiBiase fought a one-match card that lasted over three hours. (Details vary, but the shortest amount of time I've seen for this historic event is three and a quarter hours.) BodySlam explains the rules to Joey and Lobo - If a guy submits or gets knocked out, he's given a ten-count to get back on his feet. If he gets up before the count of 10, the fight continues. If he doesn't get up before the count of 10, his opponent wins.

Cantrell fighting Lobo has been a fantasy since Cantrell's first return match. A grueling match of this sort makes it even sweeter. Just hearing about it got me hard. It takes the two almost 30 minutes before victory is declared. When two favorites of mine fight each other, my feelings are complicated, a mix of dread and eagerness - a weirdly exhilarating cocktail of emotions. "To the 'death'" takes it to a whole different level. I had no doubt Cantrell was up for this sort of mayhem. I had my doubts about LG, who's generally a nice guy, but he proves himself more than capable against Joey.

The two survive multiple three-counts by pin-fall and choke-out. The bell sounds after the count, and then Bodyslam at ringside calls out a slow ten-count. They keep getting back up to fight some more - until they don't. The desperation in this heated fight, especially in the last half, is convincing, No doubt, UCW being UCW, there's not a lot of pretending to it. Lobo and Joey exhaust themselves, wringing the sweat out of each other's body. In the last quarter, they are leaning into each other like boxers, holding each other up while at the same time slugging, jabbing, and clutching the other main's muscle and bone.


Visit UCW here.

Comments

  1. this is an awesome match! I like this type of wrestling. it's a nod back to classic wwf. heal vs nice guy. Cantrell brings the action. great trash talk and showmanship. I like lobo's mild demeanor but that proves deceiving. both guys bring it. lobo surprised me with his power moves- most notably, when he applies a bearhug early on in the match and later cradling Cantrell and slamming him to the mat. no mild manner there. I'm a fan and both and hope Cantrell hangs around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm was so excited to see Joey back! I bought the match between he and Axel but haven't gotten around to watching it just yet. This one looks even hotter! I'm glad I saw your review beforehand because I wasn't quite sure what a Mexican deathmatch entailed, but looks like it's right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is definitely a must see match. I'm a huge fan of ucw but sometimes the matches can be soft. this is not one of them. joey Cantrell represents the old school ucw- slim, muscular and tough. he commands the stage and excels with his trash talking and ring presence . I thought this might be a squash match against the nice lobo. I was wrong. the stats show them evenly matched but lobo seems to be hitting the gym and looks like he's in the bulking phase- a little soft but thick. Joey brings it but lobo not only takes it but gives it back. I especially like the bear hug and the lift and smash to the mat. Check it out.

      Delete
  3. Awesome match! I was checking out your review of Cantrell and Black. Two skinny muscled boys with tattoos going at it. Amazing match! That lead me to Cantrell vs Lobo. I love comparisons: Long time favorite vs Newbie; Heel vs nice guy; Lean vs husky....this match aroused my interests in several ways. Cantrell entered the ring and I thought he had it wrapped up and probably did he. The battle was amazing and around the eight minute mark Joey was forced to give a nod to Gris's power but adding I can still submit you. Minutes later Lobo hoists Cantrell up and applies a perfect bear hug. Lobo continued to come back from Cantrell's attack ...Joey often appearing out of breath against the muscled hairy chested wolf. Thanks for reviewing. Soughernguy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more