Pain Without End
Wes Ratchett vs D.J. Beckham, Jr. (Wrestler4Hire)
The other day I was sifting through the Wrestler4Hire catalog and found this match, which, it turns out, is exactly what I was in the mood for - one long and relentless cavalcade of stylized brutality and suffering. DJ and Wes receive more or less equal servings of abuse, with no tranquil center to be found in this hurricane. How I had missed this I have no clue. It's an instant classic that took two years to get to Skull Island.
The performance style of both wrestlers owes more to kabuki than classic ring wrestling. I liked that about it. The exaggerated face- and noise-making reminds me of adults playing monsters to entertain their kids. The grunts and roars are some of the best I have heard. DJ has an infinite assortment of grimaces; most people have one, occasionally two or three, but hardly any have this many. The editing is as erratic as the antagonists' mood swings. A guy taps out, and we jump-cut to the wrestlers in different positions, later in the seemingly endless spot. Three-dimensional continuity holds second place to the need to keep the rage flowing.
I really liked this match. I like the wrestlers, too. Wes Ratchett belongs to wrestling royalty. His uncle, Jack Brisco, was my lure to Championship Wrestling from Florida on TV. Former mma fighter DJ has reportedly retired from wrestling last year. Too bad. I hope he changes his mind and comes back.
Visit Wrestler4Hire here.










I think you have mentioned the match DJ had with Caleb on W4H and it's equally impressive. I'll grab this one the next time Cameron has a sale...
ReplyDelete(in "real life" DJ got caught up in pro wrestling's "me too" movement which led to him quitting the business ... hopefully Cam can get him back for a few more matches for us.