The Riot Act













Max Riot vs Danny Chance, 5 June 2021 (Texas Wrestling League)

When the match starts, both Riot and Chance are pristine outlines of white and black. They could have popped out of Max Fleischer's inkwell. By the midpoint, the strenuous struggle has pinkened their skin the color of raw chicken. Max, the slimmer of the two, would make a grade-A heel, arrogant and sadistic. But he's not exactly a heel, just a strong-style wrestler who likes to hurt his opponents, and usually he does it sharply and stingingly. In this respect, if not so much in appearance, he reminds me of Chris Ridgeway. In appearance, he reminds me of Nick Milani at MuscleBoy.

Max and Danny both give admirable performances. I like the pace of the match. They play to the crowd and off each other. When they strike, I see the blow reverberate through both bodies. It's the small things, like aftershock or a barely detectable limp, that sell a punch or a kick. I hate the ending (see it for yourself), but I like the spirit of camaraderie after the dust settles. I won't say the match is perfect, but it is something of a pro-wrestling miracle after the drought of 2020.


Visit Texas Wrestling League on Instagram here.

Comments

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more