"Are You Ever Not Going to Fall for That?"*
Loki vs Thor, Vegas Battles 129 (Thunders Arena)
Loki's face projects the deceptive illusion of innocence. His nice-guy looks appeal to his fans. I'm one of them. But equally attractive is his competitiveness. Whether Thor was expecting something different from what he got, I can't say, but I can see he got a handful, maybe more than he can handle as a newcomer to Thunders Arena.
The Arena's muscle-gods are at their best when they hold nothing back. The gigantic chandelier that is Las Vegas has been and still is an appropriate setting for the company's matches. It's less a town than a theme park, and among its most commanding themes is glitz, a wholehearted celebration of the notion that not all that glitters is gold.
The outsize cub scout that Loki appears to be, all chummy and well behaved, disguises Loki's taste for punishing his opponents, a taste he quickly makes evident with a full-on assault. He takes seemingly easy command of Thor's muscular body, and when Thor launches an effective counterattack, Loki punches him in the gut - because that's the way the game is played in underground wrestling.
I like Thor, his looks, his attitude, and his quick adaptability to changing circumstances. But Loki is the guy I'm cheering for, and my reasons for doing so are not high-minded. I like his baby face, of course, but even more I like the fired-up bully he becomes when competing.
Visit Thunders Arena here.
*Thor: Ragnarok. 2017.


Comments
Post a Comment