Climax
Kota Ibushi vs SANADA, G1 Climax 2018 (New Japan Pro-Wrestling)
The suffering in this match between Kota Ibushi and SANADA almost was a Pretty in Pain number, but I want to focus on lust not pain, though for some the two are not far apart. Ibushi fascinates me more than most wrestlers do. There is his androgynous beauty, of course: his buttery heaps of muscle, his symmetrical face, more anime than human. There are his occasional death-defying stunts that get him in trouble with both promoters and the venues where he performs. All these qualities I blogged on over the summer.
His nine-year gimmick with Kenny Omega as the Golden Lovers was reaching its end at the time of this match. Perhaps all it ever was was a tease, but it was thrilling for me, as much for the hands-across-the-Pacific alliance as for the erotic goosebumps raised by the idea of two beautiful young lovers fighting side by side.
Like a lot of Japanese wrestlers, Ibushi alternates between lightning-fast strikes and long, suspenseful respites, during which he appears serenely still, letting the universe revolve around him. Adding to these thrills is the perfection of matching Ibushi against SANADA, similar in height (5'11"), weight (220ish pounds), and far-out personae. Here is great theater that is not just a ruse to divert attention from lousy wrestling. These guys own the ring and the fans. Soon enough both men are covered with sweat. The action piles violence upon violence. In the last GIF above, SANADA traps Ibushi in a Dragon sleeper-slash-bodyscissors hold - two sweaty bodies knotted together, very sexy. This is near the end, but it is not the end of the contest.
Visit New Japan Pro-Wrestling here.










Kota Ibushi is the guy that ended up getting me back into wrestling. I watched a lot when I was a kid, but stopped in later middle school when WWE was more focused on bra and panty matches than I was. In high school, though, I started looking up underground wrestling vids on youtube, and that's when I found one of his early match with equally talented/studly Prince Devitt. I never knew people could legit move like that! Instantly was hooked, and he's been at the top of my favorites list since (with Devitt/Balor a veery close, respectable second).
ReplyDeleteI think you described this match near perfectly; the suspense, the balance between suffering and sweaty, muscled bodies, and lordie, that ending alone.. couldn't tell you how often I've had those last few sequences do it for me. And it all culminates in a pile of heaving, sweat soaked muscle, exhausted on the mat... Just as it should be, I say.
NJPW never disappoints. This is week it's Prince Devitt vs Ryusuke Taguchi. Oh my god.
ReplyDelete