A Fight to Put Hair on Your Chest











Chris Dickinson vs Davey Richards, UWN World Title Match

Dr. L sent me this match. I am not familiar with the United Wrestling Network*, but Dickinson and Richards I do know. They are the biggest roughnecks in wrestling. This match sums both men up - sweating, brawling, swaggering, slugging, kicking - pure old-school black-trunks heaven - at least for Dr. L and me.

Both men are in their thirties, Davey being the older by four years - the prime of life, but also the decade when people start taking account of their life choices. I'll say this: If all wrestling promotions and their star wrestlers disappeared, leaving only Chris and Davey behind, there's a good chance Chris and Davey could rebuild professional wrestling from scratch, and improve on the current state of the art. 

What makes these two pros great? Their radical masculinity, for one thing, all the more impressive in an era of stunted adulthood. It's a performance, of course, but they are tapping into something real, too. There's not an inch on either of these guys that can be called "jejune." These guys have balls as big as ham hocks, figuratively speaking, of course. They have thick skin and hairy asses or so I like to imagine. Stretching my imagination further, I suspect they drink rusty nails and read a lot of Norman Mailer.

Okay, I'm pushing it, but both guys - decent likable guys from what I hear - would probably intimidate the hell out of me if I ever met them. Oh, and I so would love to meet them.


*I mentioned UWN in a blog post last year, but I still know almost nothing about it.



Comments

  1. I’ve been aware of UWN for over five years now.
    You would like their product because it invokes old school NWA quite a bit.

    I followed their flagship program - Championship Wrestling From Hollywood - on syndication for years and loved it’s old school feel. They lost their syndication deal around the start of the pandemic and the shows stopped for a while and evolved into UWN. Now United Wrestling Network has expanded to a weekly show in Memphis, experimented with a shows in Atlanta and along the Gulf Coast and does shows as UWN in California. Our favorite Dickinson traveled to CA and was their champion for a while but then left for a stint in Japan IIRC.

    If you look them up on YouTube, some guys to consider are the Golden Boy Jordan Clearwater, Dom Kubrick, Jordan Cruz and my favorite Dan Joseph. Elliot from UCW was in their hollywood ring once or twice at one point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the information, RayAtL! Much appreciated!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more