Worked Over












Bronco vs Blaine, Brawn Battle (Underground Wrestler)

Blaine makes his Underground Wrestler debut in this grunt fest, but it works in its own right on its own tempo. Sixties musclegod movies did the trick for me between ages nine and thirteen, but my one complaint was that the pushing, shoving, and squeezing were always cut short. I wanted to see the sweat and strain of muscle pressing against muscle, leading to the triumph of one and the collapse of the other  It doesn't even matter who wins or loses. I wanted a collision of bodies and raw nerve. I don't even mind a little awkwardness now and then. 

Brawn Battle mixes bodybuilder poses and old school wrestling, all bearhugs and strangleholds, which require next to no movement, only strain. We're watching a test of strength, like arm wrestling. We're invited to enjoy body contact for its own sake, so there are no acrobatics, no diving off the top ropes (because there are no ropes), just a grinding and mutual exhaustion. I should add that I actually enjoy top-rope dives and monkey flips, but I am mad in love with the slow, hard-pressed, meticulous turning of screws, squeezing that submission out of an opponent's mouth or flat-out choking him out - slowly and patiently.


Visit Underground Wrestler here.








Comments

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more